Monday, March 8, 2010

Transition

Josiah is coming up on a year in quickly and I can still hardly believe it. As he is coming up on a year I find myself with a million questions twirling around in my head. My most pressing question is figuring out how and when do you switch from a bottle to a sippy cup? Do I do it when he turns a year? Along with that we still can not get him to take a sippy cup so how do I stop using the bottle if he won't take any liquids any other way? Do I just stop the bottle and he will just have to learn that it's either a sippy cup or nothing? I just don't know what to do and I'm not finding answers anywhere. This is really starting to stress me out. Everything I google about it gives me things about babies who are 6 - 8 months and not taking a sippy cup but I can't find anything about a 1 year old who won't take a cup. Am I wrong to want to stop the bottle at a year in this situation? I just really don't know what to do. I know I am rambling but I just have all of these questions and am just not finding answers. Can someone help, please?

3 comments:

jenny said...

I also struggled with this a little, but also had help in the fact that Bella had surgery a week after her 1st birthday and thus wasn't allowed the bottle for 2 weeks (and that just nipped it in the bud cold turkey).
I know plenty of kids that still have a bottle in the morning and evening and are well over 1 (14, 15, 16 months). I think it really is just up to you if you want to quit it now. How many is he drinking? Can you substitute more solids?
I eventually weaning Bella down to just one in the a.m. and p.m. and then, just the p.m. by giving her bigger breakfasts and then juice. She didn't ask for a bottle so I just forewent it.
I think he probably WOULD take a sippy cup if that's all he's offered, too. Kids push the limits, but if they're hungry/thirsty enough, they'll do what you want them to. Good luck, Tanna. Let me know if you need any more help...

Jeanette said...

For what is is worth from a mom who has teenagers....

We switched the girls at about a year. We did still give a bottle at bed time but all meal times they had a sippy. They eventually gave up the bottle on their own as they usually carried a sippy around with them all day with water or juice in it (we did not allow them to carry bottles around with them).

Don't stress out about it - it will come on its own.

Mike Ford, AMSOIL Dealer said...

Silly girl - don't you remember anything from your days of growing up in a daycare home? LOL! Babies will not let themselves starve or go thirsty. He will eventually take the cup if it is the only choice he has. I've (and your mom too) have always given them the cup, if they throw it on the floor too many times (like 3-5) that's enough for this meal and try again at the next. Most of my babies are drinking out of a cup, no cover, before age 2. Hope this helps~!