Friday, January 23, 2009

We're Moving...

Sometime in April, Brett and I and our new little son will take up residency in South Dakota.

Background:
CAT (where Brett works as an engineer) offered it's employees a buyout option the day before we left to go home to South Dakota for Christmas break. When Brett brought it up to me it sounded as if it was not an offer we were even going to consider and it was basically left at that. A few days before we were to head back to Peoria from our Christmas break we were sitting at the table with Brett's parents chatting and the buyout got brought up. Long story short...it turned into a couple hour conversation which lead into Brett's dad telling us that we should maybe consider doing this since we were planning on moving back in another year and half anyway. I could feel my stomach begin to turn as we sat at the table and finished the conversation. We all decided it needed to be something that Brett and I were really ready to do and that it needed to be taken to the Lord before any decisions were made. We had until the 12th of January to tell CAT that we were interested in the buyout where at that point they would get us the numbers of how much we would actually be taking home with us if we took the buyout and then we would have 7 days after that number was given to us to back out of the buyout.

After calling out to God in prayer for guidance on our decision we finally came to the conclusion that we are going to take the buyout. We are very excited to be back in South Dakota close to family and friends but we know that this does not come without it's heartaches here in Peoria where we will be leaving a church where we have truly found a home and friends whom will always hold dear to our hearts.


Along with deciding if we were going to take the buyout or not we had to make a big decision on when we would move if we took the buyout. Taking this buyout meant that Brett would be done with work on January 31st. As many of you know I am due to have our first child, a son, on March 15th so we had to decide if we would leave basically after Brett is done with work or if we would wait until after the baby is born. We know it is going to be a hard transition to go from having a baby to moving 12 hours away to another state with a newborn son but we decided it was best to stay here in Peoria with our doctor and have the baby here. Along with that it will be a lot cheaper to have the baby here instead of back in South Dakota because we will still be under CAT's insurance for the next 6 months.


Life changes:

Brett will take on his life long dream of becoming a farmer which means I will become a farmers wife! Our plan as of now is for Brett to farm with his dad and grandpa and I will be a stay at home wife and mom. We will move back to South Dakota after I have healed a bit from the labor, so depending on when the baby is actually born we will leave sometime in April.

Prayer Requests:

-Brett to not feel stressed about getting the endless tasks done at CAT before he leaves in a week.
-Our transition from life in the city to life on the farm
-My labor (of which I am really nervous about after last weekends child birth classes)
-Quick healing for my body after the labor
-Finding a home to rent back in South Dakota
-The huge transition of being a family of two to becoming a family of three

Last note:

Since Brett will be done with work at the end of the month and I will be done with my job at the end of the month as well we will have all of Feb and some of March to just "be". It will be filled with lots of packing and preparing for the baby, but we are really excited to just have this time together before life begins to really transition and change for us.

Sorry for the long post but we wanted to update everyone on what's going on in the Huber household.

6 comments:

Andrew said...

Thanks for sharing the news. We were praying for you guys last week when you asked for prayer. Every time Ashley and I see a house in the middle of an open field, one of us makes a comment "That's Brett and Tanna's future home". Although we are sad that you'll be leaving the Midwest, we are happy that you guys are fulfilling your dream.

jenny said...

Man!! Lots of changes... but I think your decision sounds wise. A farmer's wife, eh? Going to make lots of pies??

About the epidural: Yes, I did take one. I also had second thoughts about medication after taking my Lamaze Class, and so we decided that I would educate myself the best I could about different laboring options and then try to do the best I could w/o meds. But I wasn't against them, in any way! So, Sept. 3 came and everything went really fast... 3-9 cm in two hours. Which means I was having contractions all the time - no breaks. Thus, I was just going out of control and couldn't physically control my pain or reaction to it, so I got an epidural and PRAISE THE LORD!!!! Oh, my goodness... Tanna... it's amazing. I think it's good to see how far you can go, just so you know if you want relief or not, but for me, it made life more livable. I seriously wanted to die and to kill everyone around me. After the epidural, I was looking forward to having my baby! Just my thoughts...

Shannon said...

What an update Tanna! How wonderful that you will be able to raise your son yourself and close to family (in addition to 6+ weeks of couple time before - that should make up some for getting pregs early on!) ;)

I am totally nervous for our childbirth class which is in 2 weeks. I think the procedure for putting in an epidural makes me want to pass out, but reading Jenny's account makes me want to go in with at least an open mind. What are your thoughts on it?

I can't believe it's only 50 days left for you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an exciting time in your life. You are really going to enjoy the time together right before the baby. Don't be nervous about the labor. It really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Both of mine went just fine. Have fun with all your prep time and good luck with the move.

Rachel L said...

hi tan...wow, lots of big changes...i'm so excited for you that you'll be living in SD! how nice to have some time w/ just you and brett before the boy arrives...i'm coming to your shower and can't wait to see you and your belly! love you!

Heidi said...

I am SOO excited for you guys. And, I totally understand all the stress and nerves that come before the transitions. It's easy to wonder and worry when it's all so unknown! You'll both be great parents and the coolest farm family in the Lowry area! Dan and I are excited to see you this next weekend when you're both done with work and starting your care free time in February! We're praying for you lots!