Monday, July 19, 2010

Family Trip to Ely, MN

Late Saturday night we arrived back home from a week long stay in Ely, MN with Brett's side of the immediate family. After a week with family, taking in the view of God's creation, meeting up with good friends, and everything else in between I wasn't quite ready to pack up and leave on Saturday morning. Josiah was able to spend some good quality time with his twin cousins who are 6 months older and his aunt and uncles along with time with Grandma and Grandpa. There were 13 of us total in a 4 bedroom 1 bathroom cabin on the beautiful Clear Lake in Ely, MN and although that may sound chaotic and maybe might have been for some but I enjoyed every minute of it. I love Ely, MN, I love fishing, I love all the beautiful trees that Minnesota has to offer, and I love my in-laws which to me equals a wonderful week up in the woods.

On our way up to Ely we stayed at my brothers which is close to a half way point for us which really helped to break up the trip a little bit and we also were able to enjoy time with my brother, sister-in-law and their son (4 months older than Josiah). I had found out the week before we left that my Grandmother (on my dad's side, whom I was named after) was not doing well and they didn't think she would have much longer to live. My Grandparents only live about an hour from my brother so we were able to stop in and see her late a night when we arrived. It's hard to see someone in so much pain and not completely all there but I'm so thankful that we had the opportunity to visit with her and see a couple of my uncles that I haven't seen in nearly 10 years. We found out while up in Ely that she passed away. I think I still haven't completely processed that she is gone. We didn't find out that she passed away until a few days later and it was late in the evening the night before the funeral so we were unable to make it which part of me is thankful for. I like my last memories of my Grandma to be ones of her holding my hand at her bedside.

I feel as though I have stopped abruptly but I don't have any other words at the moment. I will end with pictures from our trip. If you haven't even been I would encourage you to take a trip up to Ely and experience the beauty God has given that place.

Brett and Josiah getting ready to swim.

Brett, Josiah, Dan, and Anna swimming in the lake.

Tim & Sonja (my father and mother-in-law)

Brett's "normal" let me take a picture of you face

Spending time in Ely with my good friend Becky

Brett fishing.

Fishing while the sun is setting.

Dan and Brett fishing.

Enjoying the sunset

The love of my life.

Heidi and Anna

Dan and Evelyn

The whole gang

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I L-O-V-E love these pictures and the memories that go with them!! I'm sorry I didn't see them until today. :) Our new computer desk top pic is one of the awesome sunsets at Clear Lake. Thank you God!
p.s. I hope Josiah's feeling better.

Annette said...

Yeah!! I grew up an hour from Ely (Cook)... love that town, and wish I could spend time at a cabin there....