Friday, May 14, 2010

South Dakota Living - 42 lessons

It's been a little over a year ago now since we moved from the big city of Peoria, IL to our small little country town in South Dakota. Here is a list of 42 things I've learned since becoming a resident to a small (and I mean small) South Dakota town.

1. A trip to Target or Walmart consists of a 90 mile trip one way and a full day gone.
2. Our local grocery store has 4 aisles (I didn't know that was even possible before I experienced it myself)
3. Everyone waves to everyone when you are driving whether you know them or not.
4. A cart at our local grocery store can just barely fit an infant car seat with no groceries. Not a big deal now that Josiah can sit in the cart by himself but not quite sure what I will do when and if we have another child.
5. Everyone expects that you will have a garden. Not a bad thing just something I've noticed.
6. You will meet very few people who do not do something in the line of farming or ranching.
7. Planning an event does not go well unless it is planned on a Sunday because there is no such thing as a 9 to 5 job out here.
8. The whistle blows at noon (literally! I thought it only happened in the movies)
9. Most local stores are closed at lunch time.
10. The bank seems to be open for an hour a day (not literally but every time I try and go it's closed already)
11. All stores really are closed on Sunday so if you need any groceries you better get them the day before.
12. You have to make sure to check the expiration date on food before you buy it at the local grocery store. I can't tell you how many times I've bought something only to find out when I get home that it is months over the sell date. Not joking I bought some pancake mix that was a year past the due date.
13. Living next to your in-laws in amazing! I seriously love it so much!
14. You still get your groceries bagged and carried out to your car.
15. It's the kind of place where people know who you are, and notice if they don't.
16. Your "neighbor" may very likely be someone who lives 6 miles from you.
17. This year's graduating class was 14.
18. You can rent a 3 bedroom country home with yard as far as your eyes can see for under 300 dollars.
19. People don't seem to retire. An 80+ year old is still fully capable of running a farm/ranch (Brett's grandparents are a perfect example)
20. You don't have to worry about your friends moving away...those who are here are usually here to stay. (unless you are a certain Dunlap friends that moved here with no intention of farming or ranching)
21. Opening hunting weekend is basically a holiday.
22. Seeing a rifle in an entry way is a normal occurrence.
23. Culture shock is not just for going overseas.
24. Getting stuck in traffic consists of being stuck behind a tractor going 10mph.
25. We still have drive-in theaters!
26. I've learned the true meaning of a "farmers tan"...getting ready to see one on my good-looking husband soon :)
27. Seeing a "real" cowboy is normal everyday life.
28. We bought our first pound of hamburger in over a year. Normally our freezers are always stocked with hamburger, steak, and soup bone...just waiting until another cow is ready to butcher.
29. A windy day brings on complete new meaning to me. (our garbage can and grill have been 50 yards away on a frequent basis.)
30. You burn your own garbage. I'm yet to see or hear of a garbage man.
31. Praying for rain brings on new meaning. Also, praying for it to stop raining we can get back in the fields.
32. My "neighbors" who live 6 miles are long distance to call.
33. Living without a dishwasher really is as bad as it sounds :)
34. Not only is it legal to shoot our state bird but it's a social event.
35. Tree's are few and far between out here.
36. You don't lock your car doors, heck you don't even take your keys out of the ignition.
37. A pick-up is a pick-up and a truck is a semi.
38. Most everyone owns at least one pick-up.
39. Advertised events are announced in both Central and Mountain Time.
40. Football consists of 9 players on the field. This is something I had never heard of.
41. Storms are really scary out here because you can see them from miles away.
42. It's impossible to keep your vehicle clean due to all the dirt roads.

Despite the images that might come into your head when you think of South Dakota...This land is beautiful and as my husband always says, "this land is God's hidden gem". Come out and visit and experience it for yourself, but don't say I didn't worn you on a few things :)

It's only been a little over a year that I have been a South Dakotan and I still have a lot to learn but I'm thankful that this is where God has taken our family. If you made it to the end of this post congratulations! Your award is a casual wave as we drive by each other!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

VJ plays 6 man football! I am glad you like living near your in laws, they are great people.
Vonnie

jenny said...

Sounds dreamy, Tan! No really... I would love to trade lives with you for a couple months. :-) Interested in military living?? P.S. - Did you say #27 to make fun of my latest post???

Jon said...

So true!!! Jon and I laughed as we read all of them!!!! Great old South Dakota!!! :)

Huber said...

Jenny, sure lets trade for a couple of months :) I'm pretty sure I would not like military life at all though but I find the military to be extremely interesting so I wouldn't mind learning a bit more about it. :) Maybe I should just come down and visit!

As for my #27 it was partly inspired by you and partly because I had never seen so many cowboy hats until I came out here. We had some hicks in our town growing up but they just dressed the attire and probably had never even been on a horse but the cowboys out here are actually the real deal. I laugh sometimes because they wear black wranglers with their tux coats for weddings instead of the pants that come with them. Or in one instance I saw one of the groomsmen had his wranglers underneath his dress pants for the wedding because the bride wanted them to all wear the actual dress pants...that is hilarious to me.

Amber said...

We're just a different sort of farmer, Tanna. (ref. #20) We sow, we "fertilize", we attempt to bring in the harvest!

Heidi said...

Yay for in-laws! :) Can't we just shrink the land between there and MN? I'm sure your brother will be wishing for that also!

Lisa said...

Hi Tanna,my name is Lisa Beavers (I'm good friends of Dan and Heidi's from MN but now we're in NC) and we had the amazing wonderful experience of coming to Selby for their wedding and I fell in love w/SD. I loved this post! (I'm one of your 'quiet blog followers' that doesn't normally post comments) I love hearing about the things you notice there, being a "newcomer". All I could picture is how much more frustrating it would be getting back from my 180 mile round trip to Walmart only to discover I'd forgotten to put something on my list, haha :) But some of the other things you mentioned like #3, #8, #14, #18, #25, and #36 make it sound wonderful to live in SD :) thanks for sharing!!

Shannon said...

What a great list Tanna! I grew up on a farm and some of your items bring back such sweet memories.

Hope everything worked out with Josiah's bumper pad too! Ryan doesn't have one, but hasn't had a problem with dangling limbs (yet), so I'm really no help there. :)

Brianna said...

Ha! These are great Tanna, glad you're loving it out there! I especially love that it's long distance to call your neighbors. :)